Join us for a two day tour of sustainable farms and farming! Meet the folks Liz Carlisle introduced you to in the award-winning Lentil Underground! Learn about their practices, their day to day lives, and more about the how and why Montana farmers are choosing wise and sustainable practices. This tour is for readers, eaters, and anyone interested in learning more about where their food comes from, the faces behind the farms, and how to support the local food movement in Montana.
Vans are provided, and participation is limited! Please bring a bagged lunch for Thursday, and camping gear. Thursday evening meal will be provided, but donations or contributions are appreciated to help offset culinary costs!
Tour itinerary will include:
– 8am meet up in Ulm at the Timeless Natural Foods Lentil Processing Facility and site tour
– Travel and site tour of Prairie Heritage Farm in Power, with Jacob and Courtney Cowgill
– Travel and site tour of Casey Bailey Farm in Fort Benton, with Casey Bailey
– Travel to, tour, and camp at Vilicus Farms in Havre, with Doug Crabtree and Anna Jones Crabtree
Travel to Manuel Farm and Ranch in Havre for a single, all-day tour, lunch, an address from Liz Carlisle and David Oien, and a pig roast. The tour will start at 9:30 am, with lunch and dinner provided. Presentations and pig roast begins at 5! The second day of the tour is a collaborative event with Timeless Natural Foods, The Montana Organic Association, and Kamut International. To register JUST for the June 30th event, please email [email protected]
This event is FREE and open to the public, though we appreciate and encourage donations!
Learn more and register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/touring-the-lentil-underground-a-two-day-tour-of-sustainable-farming-tickets-34676807264
Montana Organic Association Presents
Organic Farm Tour
Manuel Family’s Prairie Grass Ranch
June 30, 2017 @ 9:30am
Tours during the event will include:
• Dryland cropping to include lentils, KAMUT® wheat, and emmer – Timeless Seeds & Integrity Ag Services
• Cover crop grazing
• Roller Crimper demonstration
• Bind Weed Analysis
• Soil Inputs
• Organic Advisory and Education Council (OAEC) update
• North Central Montana Chapter 1, 30th Anniversary Recognition
• “Lentil Underground” presentation by author Liz Carlisle, Chef Claudia Krevat, and David Oien
Tour is free, open to the public. Lunch and supper will be provided.
Please wear weather appropriate clothing and footwear and bring camp chairs.
Pre-Registration is required by June 15th, late registration is based on availability:
Directions: The Prairie Grass Ranch is located 9.4 miles south from Highway 2 in Havre on Beaver Creek Road (Highway 234). Look for signs!
The Montana Organic Association is a non-profit organisation advocating and promoting organic agriculture for the highest good of the people, the environment and the state’s economy.
Funding for the 2017 MOA Farm Tour is provided by the Montana Organic Association. Recognition and thank you goes out for the support and co-sponsorship provided by the following MOA “Media Package” Members; Organic Advisory & Education Council, Kamut International, Montana Flour and Grain, Montana Milling, Timeless Seed, and The Oil Barn.
Join us for an engaging and inspiring afternoon focusing on food! Interested in the hottest topics in the food industry? Want to get to know disruptive food entrepreneurs? Curious to try new food products?
Several small, midsize and large companies from the Bay Area will showcase their products and services through live demonstrations at their booths. Social entrepreneurs, investors, venture capitalists and everyone else interested in food is welcome to this unique event.
Come out to meet some amazing people and get inspired! These impact entrepreneurs are taking on some of the world’s biggest problems in the food sector in the most innovative ways.
- 3:30 PM: social impact reception to network with like-minded members of our community
- 4:00 PM: Introductory remarks by ONE WORLD
- Fireside Chats, Panel Discussion, Deep Dive Workshops
- Local & sustainable food & beverages
- 6:00 PM Closing reception: to network and celebrate with our community
We have an incredible and growing group of speakers and contributors to our event, including
- David Cooper, Nourish Ventures
- Eileen Chiarello, Barnraiser
- Liz Carlisle, Stanford University, School of Earth, Energy, and Environmental Sciences
- Renske Lynde, FoodSystem6
- additional speakers will be announced soon
Thank you to our partners!
What time does the event start?
Doors open at 3:30 pm, and we will have networking and beverages available starting then. The program begins at 4:00pm sharp.
Will dinner be provided?
We will have heavy hors d’oeuvres, food tasting stations, along with locally sourced beer and wine.
Is there a dress code?
No formal dress code.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Email Angie Mertens at [email protected]
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No! We are happy to register you with a printed or electronic ticket or have an ID ready if you forgot your ticket.
Is there a discount?
Student & Nonprofit discount on request. Please contact: [email protected]
Read more and register at this link
From University of Montana website:
More info here: https://www.umt.edu/provost/events/grizread/